over the border

(use of english: pt 2) write your answers in the boxes

I have a friend, who like me, had a rest from watching J-dramas for a season and he told me that when he started watching 1. again, he liked pretty much everything. As such, I’ve been looking 2. to this season of dramas. I feel like I’ve had enough time away that the old clichés might seem new again. read on

The first drama to be subbed this Spring is BORDER (thanks to Mister Jordau on d-addicts). In this series a detective wakes up from a coma after 3. shot on duty, with the new-found ability that he can see the recently dead. Using this new ability, he investigates murders and tries to helps the departed get the justice they desire.

When I first read the synopsis, I wondered 4. difficult it is to find a murderer when you have the victim helping you. Surely, I thought, you could just ask the victims. Then I thought, it must be 5. complicated than that, so I watched it to see.

I was actually quite surprised when that’s exactly 6. happened: the detective asked the deceased who the killer was. And they told him. There wasn’t much actual police work, apart 7. some forensics and a bit of questioning. Maybe the lack of a real murder mystery was because it was the opening episode and they had to spend twenty minutes 8. explaining the story behind the detective’s ability.

9. that, I enjoyed it. Oguri Shun brings some decent acting to the drama and, 10. no one really smiles or shows any real emotion at all, most of the main characters are quite likeable. Assuming that every case won’t be solved as easily as this, I think this drama has promise.

Not much, but enough to 11. me want to see the next couple of episodes 12. least.

Ersby